My dog survived eating a box of Oreos
OK, I guess putting my junk food on the bathroom counter is not a good idea anymore with my Sheltie. On Saturday afternoon, he ripped apart a box of chocolate covered Oreos and ate about 20 of them while I was gone. That's a lot of chocolate for a 15lb dog probably, though I don't know really, and it's milk chocolate, so maybe not as bad.
I was pretty worried about this since dogs can die from the theobromine in chocolate. Though I didn't want to rush to the vet for this, so I choose to wait it out. Perhaps a bit risky to do that, but I wasn't happy about the huge expense of my last emergency weekend vet clinic visit.
Some folks online said it was good to encourage the dog to vomit, others said to feed them things they like to reduce the concentration of the chocolate.
I noticed he was drinking a lot of water, and when I felt his heart rate, it was very fast, despite him just laying down. He must have had a crazy sugar rush, since even I can't eat that many Oreos at once (these ones were extra big).
After a few hours, my dog vomited several times a lot of watery chocolate. This is the first time I've ever been happy about him vomiting on the carpet, LOL. I had quite a mess to clean up, but I was hoping that would be the worst of it.
After the vomiting, he had a few minutes where he had a hacking cough, but that went away after a while. It sounded like he was trying to vomit but it was dry. I let him outside a few times to see if that would help too.
You could also hear his stomach making noises too, so you could tell it was a bit upset.
Then I decided to feed him a nice meal of real cooked chicken, milk, and boiled eggs. He didn't like the milk that much, but the eggs and chicken were eaten very quickly.
I didn't notice any other symptoms after that and it's been 2 days now, so I think he's going to be OK!
My dog has also survived being run over by a slow moving car, a partially collapsed lung from a dog bite, and a dog bite on the top of his skull. No matter how careful you are, it seems like you can't protect them from everything that can happen in a dog's life.
Going to have to be more careful about what I leave about now!
Jazz just turned 8 years old, and I've had him since 2 months old. You can read more about him here.
Bookmark & Share
Most Popular Articles
- Mass virtual hosting security tip when using a reverse proxy to connect to other servers
- Solution for MariaDB Field 'xxx' doesn't have a default value
- How to lock Windows immediately upon smart card removal
- Stop using sleep mode with Windows Bitlocker for better security. Learn how to use hibernate in Windows 8.
- Is Google Public DNS actually better then your ISP?
- Planning a system to visually create responsive data-driven web page layouts & widgets in the Jetendo CMS browser interface
- Pros and Cons of CFML vs PHP and other languages
- Run Windows Guest in CentOS 6 Linux Host using Virtualbox 4 via the command line